The bimmer tool can read and clear fault codes, request DPF regeneration, read live engine data and much more in BMW cars.
Try bimmer-tool lite to see if the app is compatible with your BMW and your OBD adapter.
The K+DCan cable is recommended for cars older than 2008. Connection using a wireless ELM adapter in a car older than 2008 may not be possible or not all functions will be available.
Important: This application requires a reliable OBD adapter. Cheap adapters won’t work. K+D-Can cable, ENET adapter (for F/G series) or lower Bluetooth adapters are recommended:
– UniCarScan UCSI-2000/USCI-2100: Choose setting: D-Can mode: MODE2 https://www.wgsoft.de/shop/obd-2-komplettsysteme/unicarscan/114/unicarscan-ucsi-2000-diagnoseadapter
– Carista https://caristaapp.com/adapter
– Veepeak OBDCheck BLE https://www.veepeak.com/product/obdcheck-ble
The application allows to:
– read DPF regeneration status and detailed information
– DPF regeneration request
– reset DPF adaptation values (necessary after filter replacement)
– read the exhaust gas pressure
– read injector settings
– And read actual and expected values for air mass, intake manifold pressure, fuel pressure
– save data to a CSV file for further analysis
– save battery replacement (without changing battery properties)
– reset blocked lamp circuits due to short circuit error
– reset oil service or oil change interval**
Supported OBD adapters
– K+D-Can USB: This is the recommended and most reliable adapter. You will also need a USB-OTG cable.
– ENET Cable/Wifi Adapter: Recommended for F & G series. ENET cable connections you need in addition to a USB-C to Ethernet adapter.
– ELM327 Bluetooth: Bluetooth connection may be slower than USB. Only genuine ELM327 or PIC18 based adapters will work. It may not work with older engines. More information below.
– WiFi ELM327: as the Bluetooth ELM connection may be less stable. On some devices, mobile data transmission must be disabled to use the WiFi adapter.
If you have any questions or need help, email me. You will find our address at the bottom of the page.
1) Connect the adapter to the OBD II socket
2) Switch on the ignition
3) Connect the adapter to your phone:
* USB: connect the adapter to the phone using the USB-OTG cable. The phone will ask you which application to start – choose the bimmer-tool application.
* Bluetooth: Access the phone’s Bluetooth setting. Scan for Bluetooth devices and pair the adapter with the phone (PIN code is usually 0000 or 1234).
* Wifi: Disable mobile data transmission. Enable Wi-Fi and scan for available Wi-Fi networks. Connect the phone to the WiFi of the adapter.
4) Start the app, go to “Car” and choose model and year.
5) Go to “Connection” and choose connection type, adapter type and communication protocol.
6) Press the “Connect” button.
For models before 2008 and e46/e39/e83/e53, the application requires a K+DCan cable connection. Connection using a wireless ELM adapter may not be possible or not all functions will be available.
– ‘No response’ engine error in cars up to 2007 and BT/Wifi adapter. If this error occurs from time to time, try selecting the ATWM option in the advanced connection settings.
– No connection: If the adapter and protocol settings are correct and the app still cannot connect to the car, try force stopping all diagnostic apps in the app manager ( including the Bimmer tool) or restart the phone and try to log in again.
Why does this app require permissions?
– Storage: Required to support USB adapters
– Photos / Media / Files: allows you to create CSV files
– Pair with Bluetooth devices/access Bluetooth settings: required for Bluetooth adapter support
– Full network access: required to support WiFi adapters
– Approximate location: Theoretically it is possible to find an approximate location using Bluetooth, but this app does not read/use the location.